Friday, May 21, 2010

Entry 6 - Evidence Stares Me in the Face

So, know how you can hear about something over and over, but until you experience it, it just doesn't seem real?

Law school for example. You can hear and hear and hear about the law for three full years, but until you're actually practicing, you don't actually know dick.

Apparently, eating is also like that for me. I can hear how a good diet can make you feel good, correct all kinds of health issues, etc., but hearing just ain't good enough.

Well, now I have a bit o' proof. Sure, I've had proof before, but I've been doing an unwilling experiment since last fall, and I really can't deny the results.

Since I have kinda/sorta Celiac (enough to make me sick as a dog when I eat gluten, but not enough to pick up in a biopsy, but whatevs), I've given up gluten. And since then, my migraines have big-time diminished. Oh, of course, there's other benefits obvious to Celiacs giving up gluten that I shan't go into here, for the sake of the squeamish. But that's actually tolerable stuff, as far as I'm concerned. What I find intolerable are the migraines.

So low and behold, I'm down to one or two migraines a month now. And if I accidentally stumble upon gluten (damn you, Cadbury, for changing your Caramelo recipe!!! /shaking fist at sky), I will be laid up with a migraine and severe exhaustion, amongst other things, for two full days. Undeniable proof, that. Food matters. How you fuel your body matters.

So I'm trying. I'm trying really hard. I've got solid proof of food's effects, proof that even I can't just throw an Immodium or Tums at and walk away from. I mean, we're kinda proving beyond a reasonable doubt at this point, aren't we? Criminal standards are tougher than civil "preponderance of the evidence" standards. All those articles proved something to me in a civil court, but I've finally proved it to myself in a criminal one.

Sorry about that analogy. Law school skews how you view the rest of the world. FOREVER. But that's another story.

So, another ancillary thought - If I'm able to cut back caffeine, will that potentially relieve the tention in my jaw that contributes to the TMJ pain, too? Not ready to go that far yet. Red Bull and I are fast friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment